Vijay R. Rupani Biography
- A brilliant leader and taskmaster of the Bharatiya Janata Party, Vijay Ramniklal Rupani is the incumbent Chief Minister of the state of Gujarat. His passion for politics is unsurpassed as he has contributed significantly to the political arena since his school days. He has traversed innumerable stages of the Bharatiya Janata Party(BJP)- From being an ABVP activist to Rajya Sabha Member, MLA, Cabinet Minister to become the 16th Chief Minister of Gujarat.
- The incumbent Chief Minister of Gujarat was born on 2nd August 1986 in Rangoon, Burma (Yangon, Myanmar) to Shri Ramniklal Rupani and Smt. Magaben. He is the youngest son in the family of seven children. His father was a well known social worker. Shri Vijay R Rupani married Anjali Rupani, who is also a member of the Bharatiya Janta Party’s women wing.
- They are blessed with a daughter (Radhika) and two sons(Rushabh and Pujit). Their daughter Radhika Rupani married Chartered Accountant Nimit Mishra. Radhika moved to London in 2015 with her husband (Nimit) and her son (Shaurya). Rushabh Rupani is the second child of Shri Vijay Rupani and Anjali Rupani. However, they lost Pujit, their youngest child fifteen years ago when Pujit was only three years old. Shri Vijay Rupani had launched Pujit Rupani Memorial Trust in memory of Pujit.
- Shri Vijay R. Rupani pursued his Bachelors of Arts from Dharmendrasinhji Arts College and his LL.B from Saurashtra University, Rajkot, Gujarat.
- A brilliant leader with a keen interest in Politics, Vijay Rupani joined the saffron party at a young age, elucidating his unsurpassed passion for politics. He was an active member of the ABVP during his college days. Shri Rupani later joined the Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS) and later joined the Jan Sangh in 1971. He protested against the Emergency (1975-77) and was even imprisoned during the dark days of Emergency. He served as a pracharak of RSS from 1978-81.
- He was elected as the mayor of Rajkot from 1996 to 97. Shri Rupani was appointed the chairman of Gujarat Tourism in 2006. A soft-spoken and great taskmaster Shri Vijay R Rupani has served as the BJP’s Gujarat Unit General Secretary four times. He was Member of Rajya Sabha from 2006 to 2012. Shri Rupani led the ministry of water, transport, labour and employment while being inducted as the minister in Anandiben Patel’s first cabinet expansion in 2014. Shri Rupani has worked rigorously for the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP). He has served at various stages of the party and has risen through his sheer hard work and determination and reached the top ranks of being the 16th Chief Minister of Gujarat.
- Shri Rupani was close to the Bharatiya Janata Party’s stalwart leader Lal Krishna Advani. In February 2016, Vijay Rupani was appointed as the President of Gujarat BJP and served as its President till August 2016.
- The Gujarat State Government launched a food scheme for the construction workers of the state of Gujarat. Shramik Annapurna Yojana aims at providing a hot nutritious full meal to construction workers at a minimum price of Rupees 10 at the construction site.
- Through innumerable landmarks of being the BJP activist, Rajya Sabha Member, MLA, Cabinet Minister and then becoming the Chief Minister of the State of Gujarat, Shri Vijay Rupani has come a long way overcoming each and every hurdle in his path. On 7th August 2016, Shri Vijay Rupani was sworn in as the Chief Minister of the state of Gujarat.